The IELTS Exam is a prestigious exam designed to test a candidate’s proficiency in English as a language. Like any other exam, this one also has its share of stress and anxiety.
We all know how helpful preparing for the IELTS exam from mentors such as Gurully.com can be. But just like the exam, the journey becomes much smoother if you are ready for the test day. So, here are a few tried and tested tips to help you in your IELTS Exam.
Tips to consider on the test day for the IELTS exam
- Just like any other exam, it is advised for the IELTS exam as well to sleep and eat well. Since the exam is 2 hours and 40 minutes long, it becomes essential to stay focused and concentrate during the exam.
- As no formal interview is involved in the exam, you can dress up in the most comfortable clothes. Remember, it is essential to feel comfortable and confident more than to look good.
- Keep yourself hydrated–not just before and after the exam but also during the exam. You can also carry a sipper to the exam room, ensuring transparency.
- It is highly recommended that you arrive early at the test center. For this, you need to be sure of the time it will take for you to reach the test center and then add extra time to it. You will need this to check in. Reaching the test center early will help you control yourself and perform well during the exam.
- The IELTS is a fairly long exam with no break in between. So before you enter the test room, make it a point to use the restroom. It will ensure that you are not distracted during the exam. Even though you can take a break during the exam, remember that you will lose precious time, which could mean losing scores.
- It should be noted here that electronic items, including the phone, are not allowed inside the test room.
- Ensure you carry extra stationery regarding pencils, pens, and erasers as a safety measure. You are prohibited from carrying a dictionary or a different page inside the test room.
- Make sure to bring your identification documents, such as your passport or national ID, as the test center states. You will likely be granted permission to proceed with the exam by having the appropriate identification.
- When appearing for the Speaking Test, you cannot carry anything besides your ID because that is all you need.
- The candidates will be given clear instructions before the test begins. Listen to them carefully to avoid any goof-ups later.
- Since no electronic items are allowed inside the exam room, you are also not allowed to wear a watch. There will be a clock inside the test room. Find its place before you begin writing your exam so you can keep a check on the time as well.
- While time management is essential, don’t rush through the test. Read each question carefully and answer thoughtfully.
- Maximize your productivity by strategically managing challenging questions. Instead of allowing them to hinder your progress, skip them temporarily and return when ready, ensuring you make the most of your valuable time.
- Don’t stress about others or let anxiety take over! Just focus on doing your best and rock that test!
- If anything is bothering you about the test or if you have a query, make sure to clear that a couple of days in advance. This will prevent the wastage of time on the test day.
When you know exactly what an IELTS test day looks like, you can be better prepared to take it in your stride. Therefore, follow the expert tips given above.