Spelling is important in the IELTS exam. But have you been told thousands of times that spelling is your weakness? If so, it’s high time to work on spelling errors.
It has been seen that people are highly proficient in English as they sound almost like native speakers, but they end up making the worst spelling errors. That’s why they score miserably lower than everyone when they sit for the IELTS exam.
No worries, as thousands of agile strategies are there to boost your spelling. So, without delay, let’s check out the top 5 ways to increase your score in the IELTS while putting your maximum focus on your weakness, spelling.
- Know more about the misspelled words first and consider “ie” or “ei”Students usually tend to use similar words every time. Therefore, you need to begin by learning the general terms you misspell frequently. In IELTS writing, candidates often make general errors in writing, such as getting confused between ie, or ei! For example, in these words, neighbor, eight, neigh, sleigh, you might get easily perplexed about what to follow. But you need to remember that if the sound is “ay,” the spelling will be “ei.”
- Say it out loudThe best-in-class way to try out the spelling of a complex word to memory is to pronounce it in your mother tongue. See the word, “usually” / ˈjuːʒʊəli /, as an example. You may find difficulty pronouncing this word and murmurs “uh-suh-all-lee,” every time you have to write it as it relates to the letters in their native language.
- Readout as much as you canReading can help you comprehend how the words are written. Therefore, when you start reading and indulge in 30 minutes of reading habits every day, you will come across those words that you find difficult while writing. This is how it will be straightforward to reminisce the proper spelling.
- Use your spellcheckerWhile writing something on MS Word, you need to turn on the spellchecker as it helps boost your spelling. It lets you show the wrong spelling in red in case you’ve written the wrong word. First, therefore, you have to work out why the red line appears and change the term with a better and more appropriate synonym.
After that, you can rummage the dictionary to check if you’ve managed to get the apt spelling for the most coveted word. Here’s to remember that both “expect” and “except” are correct in English, but could you say which one implies “to anticipate” and which one means “other than?”
- Ask others to correct youWhile emailing or texting others in English, you can ask those persons to highlight your spelling errors, which you can’t recognize. Once those are identified, jot those words down on a piece of paper or in a diary, and keep repeating those spellings daily to yourself. Now, you need to be highly mindful while using those words again in your write-up.
Besides these top 5 tips for improving your spelling in the IELTS exam, you can follow the tips like playing spelling games, using your imagination, and studying the spelling rules. On the other hand, you can enroll yourself in our specialized IELTS preparation courses and watch your proficiency in spelling within a few months.
Always remember that practice makes anyone perfect! You may not be great at spelling, but you will improve after making countless errors. Contact Gurully right now, or you can fill out the contact form to get a call back from us! So, what are you waiting for? Join us to crack IELTS and achieve the highest score!