The PTE exam is easy to crack if you have the proper techniques and template to tackle each question type. The scoring algorithm will check your vocabulary, language skills, pronunciation, and oral fluency once such a question type, which needs you to prepare well before the exam in PTE describe image.
In this article, we will be explaining everything about PTE Describe Image Section.
Number of questions – 3 to 4
Negative marketing – No
Time to answer per question – Around 30-40 seconds
Preparation time: 25 Seconds
Type of images in PTE exam – In this section, the test taker has to describe various images, including Pie-charts, Bar graphs, Maps, Photos, Mixed type images, System diagrams, Line graphs, Process Diagrams, and Tables.
Scoring for PTE Describe Image:
In the PTE Speaking section, you will be scored depending on how well you have described the key information of the image. The general scoring scheme for this section is as follows:
- 5 – If the test-taker has described all image elements and their relationships with each other, proper sentence development, and has given the possible conclusion.
- 4 – You will score 4 if you have described all the key elements of the image and their relations and explained their reference to a conclusion.
- 3 – If you have described most of the images and refer to their implications or conclusions, then you are going to score 3
- 2 – Your score will be 2 only if you have mentioned one key element in the image and referred to an implication or conclusion.
- 1 – If you have mentioned some essential elements of the image, but their interrelations or implications are vague, then you will fetch 1 mark.
- 0 – The evaluator will mark you 0 if you have mentioned the disjointed image elements and there is no relation with each other.
How to score maximum marks for the PTE Describe Image question?
Well, you are aware of the exam pattern and scoring; the next thing that demands your attention is the tips and tricks to score big in the exam. So, here we go.
An adequately structured answer will get you maximum scores in the PTE exam. The structure will include three parts.
- Introduction sentence – Introduction of the image stating the X-axis or the image’s title.
- Key Points – Include the main points, such as the highest and lowest numbers, comparing the data.
- Conclusion – Drawing the logical conclusion to give an overview or prediction from the data.
Use right template
To answer well in PTE describe the image, one should always be prepared with a ready-made template to score high. The template will save your time, especially when you run out of words while describing the image. It makes your answer more targeted and helps you fetch high scores.
Speak at the right time.
Your response is what matters here. So, it would be best if you spoke at the right time. You will get 40 seconds to describe each image. Before this, there will be a countdown of 25 seconds.
After this countdown only, your microphone will open up. So, never start answering before the open microphone ups. Also, speaking once the allotted time is over is of no use. So, try to finish your response in 35 seconds. Speaking at the right time is as essential as speaking right.
Make most of the erasable notepad.
There are lots of elements to note down in this section. If there are bar graphs and pie charts, then there will be some readings and units mentioned. If you want to include all this in your response, using an erasable notepad is the ideal way to capture all the units and reading. Keep taking notes of all the time units and reading on this using shorthand, and you are ready to frame an in-depth response.
Practice makes you perfect.
It is imperative to test your preparations before the actual exam. Practicing in a real-time examination pattern also helps you learn about time management. That is why using the mock test is what we suggest you blindly. By attempting these PTE practice tests, you will be a step closer to your areas of improvement.
But, Hold on! Just blindly performing mock tests with no improvements in the grades will not lead you to success.
It is highly recommended you integrate yourself into a one to one PTE coaching to enhance your score under the guidance of an expert. And nowadays, with the boom of the internet and digitalization, everything has become so accessible and convenient that even if you are working or a student, you can quickly join online PTE coaching that trains you at your comfort time.
Some extra dose of information
- There will be a countdown of 25 seconds before the microphone opens up to submit your answer. In those 25 seconds, try to understand the image as deeply as possible.
- You have only one chance to record your response.
- Try to finish your response before the time ends up.
- Never label the image.
The Describe Image task in the PTE Speaking section can be challenging, but you can improve your score with the right strategies, practice, and focus. Understanding the task requirements, enhancing your language skills, developing a structured approach, and practicing regularly is key to success. Stay confident, keep practicing, and aim for effective communication in your responses.
So, use these tips and tricks and score big in the PTE Describe Image section.
Q: How much time is allotted for the Describe Image task in PTE?
A: In the PTE exam, you will have 25 seconds to prepare and 40 seconds to respond to the Describe Image task.
Q: Can I use bullet points in my response for Describe Image?
A: Using complete sentences rather than bullet points in your response is recommended to ensure clarity and coherence.
Q: Are there any specific strategies for describing charts and graphs in the Describe Image task?
A: Yes, for charts and graphs, focus on the main trends, significant changes, and comparisons. Use appropriate vocabulary and language functions to describe the data accurately.