You must have heard of IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, and GRE! Besides these well-accredited English Proficiency Tests, many students globally prepare for Duolingo since it’s a widely accepted English Proficiency Exam.
Although making a full-fledged Duolingo English Test study plan and preparation seems complicated because of the uniqueness of the test and its adaptive system, you will need to study hard to obtain your desired score.
It costs only $49, and 1 hour is its exam duration. However, in today’s article, you will learn valuable tips for preparing for the Duolingo English Test. Let’s get started!
Tip #1: Understand the exam rules
The first thing to consider while preparing for the Duolingo English Test is understanding the exam pattern and the rules. However, the rules include:
- Not talking to anyone else,
- Not wearing earphones,
- Not using your phone and other gadgets and
- Not looking off-screen.
It’s imperative to go through these terms and conditions during the Duolingo test, or you will have to retake it. If a few weeks are still left before the exam day, you need to:
- Execute informal research, such as watching a quick video walkthrough of the Duolingo exam. After that, you must check out any Duolingo exam-related YouTube channel and playlists for countless videos about its pattern.
- Head over to the Test Readiness page, showcasing its Official Guide for the Test Takers. That guide contains valuable details on Duolingo question types, test experience, scoring, etc.
- Partake in the free practice test as many times as you desire. It will portray the questions you anticipate seeing on the test.
- Practice your English every day, utilizing all your efficiencies.
Tip #2: Get to know the Duolingo Question Types
You may find a great deal of insight on the question types on the Duolingo exam on its official website, but there’s a rapid taster to get well-acquainted with:
- Listen to a sentence attentively and type it out.
- Type the missing letters to complete the words in a sentence.
- Record yourself reading sentences audibly.
- Select between real and fake English words.
- Delineate a picture in detail.
- Jot down short texts, such as approx 50 words, based on a prompt.
- Speak for 1-3 minutes about a topic openly.
- Speak for 3-5 minutes about a topic.
- Discuss a given topic for 30 seconds based on an audio or text prompt.
Tip #3: Go for a sample test
The Duolingo sample test allows you to introduce yourself to the question type you will face. Hence, taking a sample test is recommended to understand what to expect on the actual test, and this is how you can focus on giving your best shot.
The Duolingo sample test is free; you can take it whenever you want. The sample exam gives you an approx score range after test completion. But it would be best to remember that the Duolingo sample exam is for 8 minutes, and the score range is less accurate and unofficial.
Tip #4: The day before the exam, prepare your space
You need to opt for a quiet and comfortable space to take the test, and it should have sufficient light, total privacy, and an excellent place to sit. Ensure all the necessary equipment, including a PC, government-issued ID, and a stable internet connection.
You should buy the test beforehand so that whenever you’re ready to take the test, all you need to do is hit “start test.”
Moreover, it would be best to opt for a specific time of your day when you feel at the top of the world. However, you can take this exam anywhere and anytime. But some test-takers are early birds, and others are night owls. Hence, you have to opt for your desired timing.
These are the top 4 tips to prepare for the Duolingo English test, which you should follow to obtain the desired score. However, on exam day, you must set yourself up for success by practicing your English before the exam to get in the mindset and try speaking out loud in front of a friend. Also, you’re not required to wear headphones, as it will deter your exam from being certified.